Home Page

Places
Bishopwearmouth
  • Inhabitants in 1570
  • Baptism Statistics 1567-1799
  • Castle Eden
    Cold Hesledon
    Dalton-le-Dale
    Dawdon (Seaham Harbour)
    Easington District
    Easington Colliery Village
    Haswell
    Hawthorn
    Hutton Henry
    Monk Hesleden
    Monkwearmouth
  • History
  • 1666 & 1674 Hearth Tax (census)
  • Inhabitants Mentioned in Other Parish Records 1602-1770 NEW
  • Murton
    Seaham Area
  • Old Seaham
  • New Seaham
  • 1833 Electoral & Trade Register of Greater Seaham
  • 1841 Census of Greater Seaham
  • 1873: Boat Capsizes
  • 1962: Lifeboat Disaster
  • Christ Church Clergymen
  • Seaton
    Shotton
    South Hetton
    Thornley
    Trimdon Disaster of 1882
    Tudhoe (Jeremy Hutson's site)
    Wingate

    Topics
  • Miner's Lives
  • Railways
  • The Peopling of
    Easington District
  • Cold Hesledon

     

    Pemberton Arms pub, Cold Hesledon

    For other Cold Hesledon records before and after the opening of the Methodist Chapel in c. 1893 consult the parish records for Murton or Dalton-le-Dale.

    Available Parish Registers at Durham Record Office

    St. Andrew's, Dalton-le-Dale, Baptisms 1653-1917
    St. Andrew's, Dalton-le-Dale, Marriages 1653-1971
    St. Andrew's, Dalton-le-Dale, Burials 1653-1893
    United Methodist Free Church, Cold Hesledon, Baptisms 1893-1960
    Stockton Road Methodist Chapel, Cold Hesledon, Marriages 1946-71

    Population changes in the 19th. Century were:
     

    1801

    1811

    1821

    1831

    1841

    1851

    1861

    1871

    1881

    1891

    1901

    Cold Hesledon

    48

    31

    55

    112

    83

    117

    89

    99

    108

    682

    899

    All of the above census returns 1841-91 inclusive for Cold Hesledon are transcribed and available on this site.

    Previously an exclusively agricultural community Cold Hesledon was rudely thrust into the modern world when Colonel Thomas Braddyll pushed through a waggonway in 1831-33 to connect his new colliery at South Hetton with the new port and town of Seaham Harbour. The one-pub village expanded considerably in the 1880s to deal with the overflow of population from the expanding Murton Colliery. Many of these newcomers were Methodists who soon organised themselves a chapel. Cold Hesledon 'events' which otherwise might have been recorded at St. Andrew's instead appear in the registers of Cold Hesledon United Methodist Free chapel. The (mining) village of Cold Hesledon is now long gone, replaced by an industrial estate. The old Waterworks, magnificently Gothic, are currently being renovated to become a late night venue. The pub, the Pemberton Arms, was originally called the Braddyll Arms, then became the Cold Hesledon Inn before adopting its present title. Whatever the official name it has always been known to regulars as The White House because, it seems, it has always been painted white.